Monday, June 4, 2012

Mom reviews: a series

So I have been trying a few non-conventonal ways to purchase products for my baby. Basically I just have three new companies I am trying. I have not received my products from two of them so I am starting with The Honest Company. In explaining the company co-founder Christopher Gavigan explained:

"Parents get a lot of advice about what to feed their children and how to baby-proof their home," he says, "but many are still completely unaware of the toxic risks posed by everyday basics, like diapers, home cleaners, body washes, and laundry soaps. Yet, there's growing consensus that some chemicals used in these products are linked to chronic diseases like asthma, ADHD, and even cancer."
Christopher is the former CEO of Healthy Child Healthy World (a national nonprofit empowering parents to protect their children from toxic risks)

The company offers two free trial sets. ( you pay shipping of like $4.00) One is for household basics - hand soap, shampoo body wash, laundry detergent, lotion, and healing balm (diaper rash gel). The other trial is 10 diapers and a small pack of wipes. I ordered both trials as well as a full size household basics kit. 

I have previously purchased organic baby products but as I have been using these products I have notice that my old products say things like 99% natural and 92% organic. Thats just silly, if your not 100% than your not organic are you. 
I worry about what my baby puts in her mouth, i.e. everything. I put lotion on her body: she puts her hands and feet in her mouth. I wipe her face with a wipe: she licks it. I shampoo her hair: she drinks her bath water. Everything that is on my hands has a great possibility of making into her mouth, i.e. sunscreen. When I spill some baby food on the counter I worry about putting back with the rest of her food because of the chemicals that are on my counter. She wears a diaper like 99% of the time, I really want to be confident that there is nothing in it that can harm her. 

Seriously I am in love the the confidence these products give me and i thank this company immensely.

So here is what I really think about the products:


  • Hand Soap: I really love how my hands don't feel super dry after using it. And it smells so good, and it lasts. Its Lemongrass. 
  • Laundry Soap: 
  • Shampoo Body Wash: Sweet orange vanilla smells really good on her skin and for hours after bath time she smalls so clean
  • Lotion: Even though the lotion is not thick its feels like a heavy cream on the skin. I even put it on my skin to test it and it leaves me feeling soft for hours. It's even better then bath and body works cream lotion. 
  • Healing Balm: So my baby has never had diaper rash, ever. But sometimes i see some redness after I removes a particularly stinky diaper and I have been using the balm. The redness is always gone by the next diaper change. What more could I ask for?
  • Wipes: Super study yet not too thick. It's pretty hard to get them to rip. sometimes we play tug of war with them. 
  • Diapers: They are so cute they different designs you can choose from. Or you can get them all. Basically once your baby starts eating solids it's becomes more and more less likely you will have a blowout . My baby doesn't get blowouts any more or these keep everything inside even if its not completely solid. 
I urge you to research their website. I Highly recommend these products. 

There are two ways to purchase. You can buy by individual product or you can sign up for a monthly bundle. They have a chart as to how many diapers come monthly.


As far as the essentials bundle, you get 5 products a month and there currently are 14 products to choose from. 
Its super cheaper to do the bundle. Even cheaper than Walmart. and if you sign up for the diaper bundle now you get wipes included as long as you are subscribed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment