Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Begginers Crafts 101 from google.


So you know those cute rosettes all over esty that we all love? Me too. So yesterday i bought a bunch of little flowers to make little headbands for Baby Lydia and well although they were not that expensive i thought... i could make my own. This is what happens when i don't work. So first step: i googled "How to make fabric flowers" and the very first option taught me how to make 7 different variations. Today i tried one. So if you want, you can do it too. I just learned a couple extra tidbits that i would add to help you out.
I have only made 3 so far so don't count me perfect. I had some extra strips of fabric from the baby corner so i tried that first. The other two i made with ribbons from my wrapping supply. Ribbons work great. Basically you just wrap them around a pipe cleaner, or two, or three and then roll it. The first one i did has two little flowers, one is a two pipe cleaner size and the little one is just one. The pink one is two and the purple (from all those wedding gifts from Bed, Bath, and Beyond) is three. The instructor said two was the perfect length, i really like three too though.

- don't pull to tight, perfectionist me wanted to pull as much as possible and make the ribbon stretch, don't do that. the looser the better looking: even if you can see the pipe cleaner, you can always glue it closed when your rapping it.



- choose a bottom and utilize. maybe i over satirize but i though if i glued in the middle i could pick the side that looked better... the mistake was its harder to hide the glue. pick a bottom and glue towards the bottom.
 - don't over glue. the instructions i googled said use fabric tac- i used a hot glue gun. It works best if you roll and sculpt it where you want it and then glue it where it fits naturally. The less glue, the more freedom you have to beautify.


 Smart idea me - i didn't really want to go out and buy anything so, me who saves everything, collected: all the buttons that come with new clothes I had piled up (stole my moms too), all the stranded earnings i save hoping to find its match (years latter), and all the old necklaces and brackets i don't wear. I just tore them all apart and BAM instant stock pile.

BAM- I make baby headbands. I'll show you when they are cuter too. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it Danielle!!! ;) can we Please have a craft night together??? Super cute flowers

    ReplyDelete